June 04, 2005

Where to from here?

The reason I am opposed to zionism and the existence of the state of Israel is because I believe that the ethnic cleansing of the Palestinians and the establishment of a racist state in their place was not justified and can never be justified. Short of desiring a democratic secular state, much like a western state, I haven't considered much about how this should be achieved or what it would look like once it was achieved. When I was young and I began to discover the truth about Israel, I tried to get on with zionism for reasons of tribal loyalty and the quiet life. I even went to Israel three times staying on the same kibbutz twice. But once I heard about how Israel was established and how it maintained its existence I took the view that, as a bookshop assistant is said to have told a customer asking for Alan Dershowitz's "The Case for Israel", "there is no case for Israel." It was just rather a long time before I expressed that view. Anyway, considering "where to from here?", when the most powerful forces on earth support the racist war criminals of Israel seems like an exercise in futility to me and I haven't got a clue where to from here. I mean in terms of opposition I support boycotting Israeli goods, cultural and sporting links, academia, etc. Exposing the constant stream of lies we are told in the mass media is an important activity. Supporting, or at least putting into context, the various forms of Palestinian resistance and Israeli solidarity action also helps. But how a post-zionist Israel/Palestine will constitute itself I really don't know. Help, however, is at hand. This website - www.ONE-STATE.org has many articles and other resources dealing with the question of the future for Israel/Palestine. So if you want a non- or anti-zionist take on where to go from here then go there and don't ask me.

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment